Xbox:Softmod Installer Deluxe (SID)
|This utility is essentially obsolete, as Rocky's Xbox Softmodding Tool is more up to date.
This article will walk you through softmodding your console via the Game Save Exploit, and installing your dashboard and initial apps through the Softmod Installer Deluxe (SID). You can find the full manual here. It is recommended to instead use the Xbox Softmodding Tool, as it is generally better built and more straightforward.
A video demonstration of softmodding using SID can be found on MrMario2011’s channel.
- A controller to Female-USB adapter such as this one or a memory card (need another modded Xbox or GameShark/Action Replay to use a memory card)
- A USB flash drive that is 2GB or smaller (USB Compatibility List) or an Android device with DriveDroid set up
- Softmod Installer Deluxe 5.12
- One of the following games:
- Splinter Cell (first game in series; any version)
- MechAssault (black label or Platinum Hits with "MS02301L" on non-label side)
- 007: Agent Under Fire (black label or Platinum Hits with "1448517" on disc)
- For Japanese region consoles, you must use the Asian version of one of these games, the Japanese version will not work! Asian Platinum Hits MechAssault will also work (for Japanese region consoles only).
Formatting your USB Device
- Plug in your memory unit, or the flash drive into the USB adapter and then the USB adapter into the Xbox. On the dashboard, select Memory. You should receive a message saying that the memory unit was erased, meaning it was formatted. If not, select the memory unit, Press A, then select Erase and accept the prompt.
Loading the Game Save
- On your PC, open "Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v5.12.Final.Xbox-Hq.zip" and extract:
- "Xplorer360.exe" from in "Xplorer360.beta6.zip"
- The folder named "2158554" inside of SID512.Installer.USB
- The numbered folder inside of the UDATA folder of your chosen game (007, MechAssault, or Splinter Cell)
- Run Xplorer360. Select File → Open → Drive or Memcard. You should see "Partition 0" on in the left column. If you receive an error and are using DriveDroid, change the USB System to Legacy and re-set the Manual USB mode to Mass Storage. Drag the two numbered folders from the previous step into the large window to load it onto the storage device. Wait for the folder to be listed, then select Drive → Close, then Drive → Exit.
- With your Xbox off, plug your USB device into your USB to Xbox adapter and turn your Xbox on.
- Navigate to the memory unit, scroll down to the game title you chose, and then scroll right to highlight the game save. Press A to select it, then Copy and copy it to your hard drive. Do the same for the game save labeled "SID 5.11 Installer".
- Insert your game and select the Load Game option from the main menu. Make sure to load the save or checkpoint instead of loading a level. Your console should boot into Softmod Installer Deluxe. Your Xbox LED may change colors, which is normal.
Installing the Softmod
- Complete the following to backup your system:
- Select "Backup/Restore Features" and then "Backup Eeprom".
- Go back to the main menu and select "Backup/Restore Features" again, and then "Create MS Backup" and accept. This will backup your MS dashboard.
- Go back to the main menu and select "Backup/Restore Features" again, and then "Create C Drive Backup" and accept.
- You have a choice between a Single Boot softmod or a Dual Boot Softmod. The Single Boot softmod will only allow you to boot to one dashboard when you turn your Xbox on. A Dual Boot softmod will allow you to have two different dashboards and choose which one you want to boot into by powering the Xbox on with the power button or the eject button. It’s recommended to do the Dual Boot softmod in case something ever went wrong with your primary dashboard. Choose the option you want, and you will presented with one of two menus. Note that if you selected the Dual Boot option, you will be prompted with the same options as single boot after the initial option.
- Single Boot:
- Standard - One dashboard of your choice (you can choose HD later in dashboard).
- Standard for HD - One dashboard of your choice, automatically changes settings to the best for an HDTV.
- Standard for RGB - One dashboard of your choice, automatically changes settings to the best for RGB.
- Virtual C+Eeprom - Locks your C drive from being modified unless purposely unlocked with SID (can choose HD later in dashboard).
- Virtual C+Eeprom for HD - Locks your C drive from being modified unless purposely unlocked with SID, changes settings to the best for an HDTV.
- Virtual C+Eeprom for RGB - Locks your C drive from being modified unless purposely unlocked with SID, changes settings to the best for RGB.
- Dual Boot:
- Hacked Dash / Softmod Menu (recommended) - Allows you to boot to SID by pressing eject.
- Hacked Dash / MS Dash - Allows you to boot to stock MS Dash by pressing eject (previously used for Xbox Live).
- Single Boot:
- Choose the desired option and it will warn you that the C drive will be wiped; your game saves will remain intact on the E drive. It may check for a valid MS Dashboard backup, press A to acknowledge it and A again to continue the install. When it is finished installing, it will prompt you to shut down the Xbox. Accept it, and it will shut off.
- Turn the Xbox back on, and SID will appear and prompt you to finish the softmod install. Select A to accept it, and A again when it is finished to reboot. Your Xbox will be restarted, and you should be presented with the dashboard of your choice. Optionally, you can now boot back into SID and install applications or other options.
- It is HIGHLY recommended to use FTP to transfer your E:folder to your PC immediately, and preferably back it up on cloud storage in case something were to go wrong in the future.