Atari 5200:Creating Game Backups
Jump to navigation Jump to search
There are two methods of dumping Atari 5200 games: with a dumping device or with an EEPROM programmer.
AtariMax Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer
This method uses the Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer plug-and-play cartridge dumper. It also requires the Atari 5200 Cartridge Dumping Adapter from the same store in order to connect to Atari 5200 cartridges. The instructions are taken from their official documentation. The resulting ROM image can be used with Multi-Carts and emulators without modification.
- Unplug any attached USB cable and attach the dumping adapter you intend to use to the Maxflash USB by inserting it into the card edge connector as shown.
- The adapter board should be positioned so the text on the PCB saying the system name or 'THIS SIDE UP' is facing the same side as the Maxflash USB Programmer label, as shown.
- Attach the cartridge you wish to dump to the edge connector on the dumping adapter, as shown.
- Plug the USB cable into your Maxflash USB programmer to connect it to your PC.
- Select Cartridge->Dump from the drop down menu within Maxflash Studio, then select the system and cartridge type you are dumping.
- Dumping your cartridge should take less than 10 seconds. When completed, you will be prompted for a filename to save your new ROM image to.
Atari 5200 games use a 2732 EPROM. This chip can be desoldered from the cartridge and inserted into a 2732-compatible EPROM/EEPROM programmer such as the Pocket Programmer 2.