N64:PAL Funtastic Model S-Video Restore Mod
All NTSC and most PAL N64's can output S-Video without a mod, but you’ll need a different cable for PAL than NTSC. It’s believed that the NUS-CPU-P-03 (Pikachu and Funtastic) and the NUS-CPU-R-01 (French release) are the only ones that don’t support S-Video from the factory, but you’ll need to connect your cable to be sure. If your unit doesn't support S-Video, you can restore the N64's S-Video circuit to the multi-out using this mod from Jan from Consoles4You.
Re-connect the luma and chroma traces from the chip
The Y&C pins from the MAV-NUS chip are just floating and not connected to the traces that are right in front of them!
- Scrape off a tiny bit of the motherboard's mask layer in front of pin 25.
- Solder a jumper wire between pin 25 and the trace.
- Connect pin 29 on the chip to the via directly above it.
Restore the missing components near the multi-out
Now you'll have to re-populate the four missing components near the multi-out. In order to solder them, you’ll need to carefully scrape off the mask over the pads and solder them in place.
- On top are two 47pF SMD capacitors. You’ll need to cut the traces between them, then scrape the green mask over the mounting squares.
- Below that, DA7 and DA8 appear to be two ESD diodes with different polarity.