NDS:Identifying Firmware Version with PictoChat
Jump to navigation Jump to search
It is possible to identify the revision of your Nintendo DS/DS Lite firmware by purposely crashing PictoChat via way of removing a DS/GBA cartridge while the application is running.
- Place a DS or GBA cartridge in their respective slot. It is not clear whether or not Flashcarts will work!
- Turn on your DS/DS Lite by holding down the power button, ensuring it boots to the menu.
- Launch PictoChat and enter any chat room.
- While in the chat room, remove the cartridge from the slot.
- Take note of the way in which your DS/DS Lite crashes.
Outcomes and Firmware Revisions
- V1 Firmware- PictoChat freezes outright, no color on either screen.
- V2 Firmware- Greyish blue color on both DS/DS Lite screens.
- V3 Firmware- Dark green color on both DS/DS Lite screens.
- V4 Firmware- Bright golden yellow color on both DS/DS Lite screens.
- V5 Firmware- Magenta color on both DS/DS Lite screens.
- V6 Firmware- Dark blue color on both DS/DS Lite screens.
- V7 Firmware- The DS/DS Lite does NOT crash at all.