PS3:Super Audio CD (SACD)
|Circumventing DRM mechanisms and/or creating backup copies of games and media for personal use is a right granted only in some countries. It is your sole responsibility to stay up to date with the law in your respective country. The information provided within this wiki is solely educational and its editors take no responsibility for the use or misuse of this information.|
A Super Audio CD (SACD) is a high density version of the CD. It allowed for up to 4.7GB of data to be stored on disc to fit more music, longer tracks, or additional audio channels (including quadraphonic surround sound). SACD was a niche technology that fell to the wayside as DVDs became popular. Both the actual SACDs and their players were expensive, however, the early versions of the PS3 are able to read SACDs, and therefore rip them.
A component of SACD Ripper, called SACD Extract, is usable on Windows/OSX/Linux, provided that you have a SACD-compatible disc drive.
- The CECHE was the final model of PS3 that is able to read SACDs.
- A great website covering PS3 SACD can be found here: https://www.ps3sacd.com/
- Download SACD Ripper (source code), install it on your PS3, and run it.
- You will be asked if you want to run the app in server mode. Choose "No".
- Plug a USB storage device into your PS3. Insert your SACD, and it will populate with metadata about the disc. Press X to begin ripping it to your USB drive. An ISO of the disc will be created on your USB drive with the name format of
%artist% - %album%.iso.