PSP:Creating Game Backups
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Circumventing DRM mechanisms and/or creating backup copies of games and media for personal use is a right granted only in some countries. It is your sole responsibility to stay up to date with the law in your respective country. The information provided within this wiki is solely educational and its editors take no responsibility for the use or misuse of this information.|
UMD Drives are prone to failure, and PSN connectivity on the PSP is now near non-existent. As a result, it may be useful to create backups of your physical or digital games.
Creating Backups of UMD Games
Backing up UMD games digitally requires your PSP to have custom firmware installed. This process can be followed on the PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 or E1000 (Street). Backing up UMDs cannot be done on the PSP N1000 (Go) due to its lack of a UMD Drive.
Ripping UMDs via USB
- Open the VSH menu of your custom firmware by pressing SELECT.
- Navigate to "USB Device" and use left or right on the DPAD to change it from "Memory Stick" to "UMD Disc".
- Connect your PSP to a PC via USB and enter USB mode.
- Navigate to the PSP drive on your PC and copy "UMD9660.ISO" to a location on your PC. This process may take a few minutes to complete.
- The copied ISO file can be renamed to, for example, "GameName.iso".
Ripping UMDs via PSPFiler
- Insert your UMD into the PSP and launch PSPFiler.
- Press the Triangle button and then press R to select "UMD ripping".
- You will be prompted to name the ISO file. By default, the disc ID will be used for the name. You can change it or leave it as it is.
- Press START and the process will begin. This may take a few minutes to complete. When finished, press X to exit the prompt and then exit PSPFiler.
- The ripped ISO will be located in the "ISO" folder on the root of your Memory Stick. This can be copied to your PC via USB or launched on the PSP by selecting the game icon from Game > Memory Stick on the XMB.
Creating Backups of PSN Games
- Connect your PSP to a PC via USB.
- Navigate to the PSP > GAME folder on your Memory Stick (or Internal Storage if using a PSP Go).
- The folder for your PSN game will be named with the game ID (e.g. "ULUS10025"). Inside this folder will be a file named "EBOOT.PBP", and in some cases, a file called "DOCUMENT.DAT". Copy this folder to a location on your PC.
Creating an ISO from a PSN Game Backup
You may want to convert your PSN game backup to an ISO for use on a PS3 or emulator.
- Download npdpc.
- Drag the EBOOT.PBP of your PSN game onto "npdpc.exe".
- The created ISO will be placed next to your EBOOT.PBP, named according to the game's ID (e.g. ULUS-10025.ISO).